Lis Janes is a papermaker, printmaker and book artist from coastal Maine. Lis developed at a young age a reverence for nature and concern for humanity that is always reflected in her work. For more information please contact: lis.janes@gmail.com



Friday, February 22, 2013

Trip to Bangkok

In December I was fortunate enough to go to Thailand to attend my brother's wedding. It was amazing... I felt like I could spend several months there and feel like I'm really living day after day... certainly one week was not NEARLY long enough.

My biggest regret was not getting to send time in Chiang Mai, which is really the epicenter for traditional arts in Thailand. So that is top priority for the next trip.

What I did get to see was temples, temples, temples. One day with my roommate-in-law from NYC via Taiwan, Kevin Chan and my new friend Adamo Hsu while we were guided by my Auntie (in-law)  around the new(er) temples that can be found in Bangkok and another day was spent with broski (Eric) sister and latest addition to the family (Pachara) and another new friend Ken Sato touring the older temples that can be found in the old capital Ayutthaya.

The whole trip was simply lovely with new, exciting discoveries every day. Falling asleep to packs of dogs howling and waking up to the sounds of tropical birds in a city of nearly 12,000,000 people alone is pretty incredible. The food was great- SO MUCH fresh tropical fruit... my favorite was those tiny, super sweet pineapples. I can ramble on and on about how much I loved it (and miss it) but, instead, I think I will just show you how wonderful it really is.



No comments:

Post a Comment